You are here
Act 101/EOP Faculty and Staff
Act 101/EOP Faculty and Staff
Dr. Irvin Wright, acting associate dean academic achievement
- Qualifications: D.Ed., higher education and public administration, Pennsylvania State University; M.Ed., guidance and counseling, University of Toledo; B.Ed., physical education and health, State University of New York at Buffalo; A.A., general studies, Dodge City Community College in Dodge City, Kan.
Extras: Dr. Wright was the director of Act 101/EOP 1996-2012 after serving as assistant director from 1977-1996. Act 101 reports to Dr. Wright as Acting Associate Dean of Academic Achievement.
He is actively involved in the University-Community Task Force on Racial Equity, University Committee for Protected Class Issues, Advisory Board for Frederick Douglass Institute, and Bloomsburg Rotary Club. Prior to this, he served on various university-wide committees.
Office: 41 Student Services Center | (570) 389-4492 | E-mail
Melissa Cheese, interim director of Act 101/EOP
- Qualifications: D.Ed., candidate, literacy, Hofstra University; M.S., educational administration and B.A., computer science, State University of New York at Albany.
Extras: As the interim director, Ms. Cheese coordinates and supervises programs and services for academic advisement and financial aid. She also serves as an advisor and mentor. She works in conjunction with student life to support programs and services for students; and she is always available to assist students in various capacities.
Office: 42 Student Services Center | (570) 389-4492 | E-mail
Brian C. Johnson, academic advisor and part-time program coordinator
- Qualifications: M.A., English, California University of Pennsylvania; B.A., English, California University of Pennsylvania.
Extras: Johnson, who is also an active educational speaker and preacher, has a newly released book, “We've Scene It All Before: Using Film Clips in Diversity Awareness Training” published by Sense Publishers, an international academic publisher. A revolutionary tool for corporate and academic trainers, “We’ve Scene It All Before”, harnesses the power of mainstream Hollywood film to enhance educational sessions about diversity and social justice. The book is a learning tool which will be tremendously useful in reducing resistance and increasing thoughtful cross-cultural dialogue.
Office: 33 Student Services Center | (570) 389-4006 | E-mail
Wayne Whitaker, assistant director of diversity and retention
- Qualifications: M.S., instructional technology; B.A., psychology.
Extras: Active member and leader of Mount Zion Baptist Church; co-chair Deacon Ministry, Christian Education director and dean of Student Enrollment (Zion Biblical Institute).
At BU, Whitaker also serves as assistant director of admissions and coordinator of minority recruitment, interim assistant director of diversity and retention, as well as mentoring Kappa Alpha Psi and Black Caucus. He is also B-SMART coordinator, manages placement testing and serves as ACT 101 orientation coordinator.
Office: 39 Student Services Center | (570) 389-4996 | E-mail
Debbie Schell, department secretary
- Office: 40 Student Services Center | (570) 389-4492 | E-mail
Ailien Pham, secretary
- Office: 40 Student Services Center | (570) 389-4489 | E-mail