You are here
Teacher Education Admission
Teacher Education Admission
Students wishing to attend BU as part of the teacher education program must first apply to the university through the admissions office. Once accepted to BU, students must follow the guidelines below for admission to the teacher education program. A Time Line Chart is also available to guide you through the program. All students seeking entrance to the teacher education program must submit a completed admission packet to:
- Angela McCabe, coordinator of Teacher Education Admission Packets, 3103-C McCormick Center, (570) 389-5128 ... upon completion of 48 credits; no later than completion of 65 credits.
Packets may be obtained in the department office for which the student wishes to be admitted. Enrollment in upper-level education courses (300 and 400 level) is contingent upon admission to the teacher education program.
To be eligible for admission to the teacher education program, students must:
- Obtain current Pennsylvania qualifying (i.e. passing) scores for the Praxis I: Pre-Professional Skills Test (PPST). (For Praxis requirements, choose "Testing Requirements.") Students should designate code 2646 on the Praxis test registration for "Attending Institution" and "Score Recipient" to ensure Bloomsburg University receives a copy of the scores.
- Possess an overall cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher
- Possess a grade of C or better in all professional education and specialization courses. (The grade of C- (minus) does not meet this criterion.)
- Complete six (6) semester hours in college level mathematics
- Complete at least six (6) hours in college level English composition and literature
- Submit two (2) recommendation forms from Bloomsburg University professional education faculty
- Submit the results from a current tuberculosis screening administered within the last two years
- Possess professional liability insurance. The policy shall be a minimum of $1,000,000.00 per claim and $3,000,000.00 aggregate.
- Submit a resume that follows the sample format
- Complete a five-day, noncredit field experience by the end of the sophomore year or at the earliest possible time in the case of transfer or non-traditional students. Specific diversity requirements must be met. The Field Experience Diversity Requirements document must be completed prior to student teaching.
- Obtain current background clearances: ACT 34 (PA Request for Criminal Record Check), ACT 151 (PA Child Abuse History Clearance), and ACT 114 (FBI Federal Criminal History Record — requires fingerprinting). Clearances are valid for one year from the date of issue. (Bloomsburg University requires students to obtain the ACT 114 clearance twice during their degree program: once for admission to the teacher education program, and again prior to the student teaching placement.)
- (*) Transfer students must also adhere to these guidelines.
Addtional costs associated with the teacher education program for initial and advanced certification include the following:
- Act 34 ($10)
- Act 151 ($10)
- Act 114 ($35.50)
- PSEA ($30 for a one year membership)
See PRP 3810 for more information on admission to BU's teacher education, as well as the Time Line Chart for semester-by-semester guidelines. Admission for students seeking Advanced or Instructional II certification should contact the specific department.