You are here
BU Forensics showcases talent at CFA's annual fall tournament - October 18, 2014
Bloomsburg University’s Forensics (Speech and Debate) Team recently won the third place team sweepstakes award at the Collegiate Forensic Association’s Annual Fall Tournament at Fayetteville State University in North Carolina. Seven students won a total of 17 individual speech and debate awards.
- Stephanie Kaminski (Team President): 2. Best Speaker in Parliamentary Debate; 3. Informative Speaking; 5. Poetry; 6. Parliamentary Debate with Chanty Gbaye
- Delaney Hellman: 1. After Dinner Speaking; 6. Prose; 6. Informative Speaking, 6. Communication Analysis; 5. Parliamentary Debate with Abbey Porambo; 5. Best Speaker in Parliamentary Debate; 3. Pentathlon
- Brook Reichenbach: 5. Communication Analysis; 6. Dramatic Duo with Jayleen Alvarado
- Jayleen Alvarado: 2. Declamation; 6. Dramatic Duo with Brook Reichenbach
- Arrista Voorhees: 2. Impromptu Speaking; 3. Poetry
- Abbey Porambo: 5. Parliamentary Debate with Delaney Hellman
- Chanty Gbaye: 6. Parliamentary Debate with Stephanie Kaminski
Joshua Hooks also competed at the tournament for Bloomsburg University in both speech and debate events. Neil Strine, director of BU Forensics, served as a speech and debate judge at the tournament. The BU Forensics (Speech and Debate) Team is supported by coaching from Timothy Oleksiak, of English, and Daniel Bloomingdale, of communication studies.
CVA Beach Tournament, Ocean City, MD - Feb 27-Mar 2, 2014
Bloomsburg University's Forensics (Speech and Debate) Team won third place out of 10 schools at the Collegiate Forensic Association’s annual Beach Tournament. Six of the 12 students on the team brought home individual speaking awards, including the team president and graduating senior, Dan Clark, who brought home 3 first place awards in Poetry, Dramatic Interpretation of Literature, and Dramatic Duo with Jackson Staples. The following BU students won individual speaking awards:
- Dan Clark: 1st Place Poetry, 1st Place, Dramatic Interpretation of Literature, and 1st Place, Dramatic Duo with Jackson Staples
- Abraham Freet: 2nd Place, Impromptu Speaking, 3rd Place Informative Speaking, 5th Place Extemporaneous Speaking, and the Year-Long, 2013-2014 award for best Extemporaneous Speaker
- Jackson Staples: 1st Place, Dramatic Duo with Dan Clark, 2nd Place, Poetry
- Arrista Voorhees: 3rd Place, Impromptu Speaking
- Delaney Hellman: 4th Place, After-Dinner Speaking
- Joshua Hooks: 6th Place, After-Dinner Speaking
The following students also competed for the BU Forensics Team in Ocean City: Stephanie Kaminski, Madalyn Goss, Taisha Martinez, Abbey Porambo, Anna Scott, and Jayleen Alvarado. Professor Christi Saindon, Communication Studies, and Dr. Neil Strine, Director of Forensics, served as Speech and Debate judges at the tournament for Bloomsburg University.
CFA Harold Cox Speech and Debate Tournament, Wilkes University - Feb 8, 2014
The Bloomsburg University Forensics (Speech and Debate) Team won 3rd place out of 10 schools at the CFA Harold Cox Speech and Debate Tournament held on Saturday, February 8th on the campus of Wilkes University in Wilkes-Barre, PA. All five of the BU student competitors won speaking awards.
Joshua Hooks: 1st Place, Impromptu Speaking
Arrista Voorhees: 2nd Place, Communication Analysis; 4th Place, informative Speaking; 7th Place, impromptu Speaking
Jayleen Alvarado: 6th Place, Persuasive speaking; 6th Place, Informative Speaking; 5th Place, Dramatic Duo with Anna Scott
Anna Scott: 5th Place, Persuasive Speaking , 5th Place, Dramatic Duo with Jayleen Alvarado
John Munchel: 3rd Place Single Dramatic Interpretation, 4th Place, Extemporaneous Speaking, 6th Place, Impromptu Speaking
Dr. Harry C. “Neil” Strine, Director of Forensics, served as a Speech and Debate Judge and ran the Extemporaneous Speaking Preparation room at the tournament. The BU Forensics Team will compete next at the Pennsylvania State Forensics Championships hosted by Bloomsburg University this weekend. The Forensics team is funded by the Community Government Association and is open to all university students. The team meets every Tuesday at 9 PM in Bakeless, Room #202. No prior experience is necessary to join the team.
College of Charleston - Jan 31-Feb 1, 2014
The Bloomsburg University Speech and Debate (Forensics) Team won 3rd place out of 8 schools at the Collegiate Forensic Association’s Annual Winter Tournament held at the College of Charleston (Charleston, South Carolina) on January 31-February 1, 2014. The following students won individual speaking and debate awards:
1st Place, Extemporaneous Speaking; 3rd Place, Impromptu Speaking; 3rd Place, Informative Speaking; 2nd Place, Parliamentary Debate with Madalyn Goss; 1st Place, Parliamentary Debate Speaker Award
2nd Place Parliamentary Debate with Abraham Freet; 4th Place, Dramatic Duo with Arrista Voorhees
3rd Place, After Dinner Speaking; 4th Place, Impromptu Speaking
3rd Place, Extemporaneous Speaking; 2nd Place, Single Dramatic Interpretation; 6th Place, Declamation
5th Place, Persuasive Speaking; 3rd Place in Dramatic Duo with Jayleen Alvarado
3rd Place, Dramatic Duo with Anna Scott; 5th Place, Poetry
4th Place, Dramatic Duo with Madalyn Goss.
The other students competing for Bloomsburg University included Stephanie Kaminski, Abbey Porambo, Atle Walter and Chase Blackburn. Dr. Harry C. “Neil” Strine IV, Director of Forensics, served as a speech and debate judge at the tournament. The BU Forensics Team will travel next to Wilkes University for the Harold Cox Speech and Debate Tournament, February 7-8, 2014. The Bloomsburg University Forensics Team is funded by the BU Community Government Association and all students are welcome to join. The team meets every Tuesday at 9 PM in Bakeless, Room #202.