General Education Task Force Charge
The General Education Task Force will coordinate the development of a new general education program for the university that is focused on meeting the needs of Bloomsburg University students and the standards of accrediting, certification and licensure bodies; and is amenable to ongoing assessment and improvement. The task force should engage the entire university community in the development of the program. The products of the task force deliberations will include:
- Review successful competency-based general education models within the Middle States region;
- Based on the review of general education models, develop observable learning goals stated as outcomes as appropriate to satisfy the requirements of the Middle States Commission on Higher Education;
- Provide recommendations regarding the structure and content of a new university general education program;
- Develop a strategic plan that provides for an on-going review of the general education program that is evidence-based.
- Recommend a permanent committee structure and a long-range general education assessment protocol that is based upon measurable or observable criteria;
- Provide recommendations on resources and faculty development needed to carry out the new general education program.
- September 2009: The task force is re-formed and given its modified charge;
- November 2009: Summary report on general education models and learning outcomes.
- January 2010: Revised general education learning objectives are submitted to BUCC.
- April 2010: The final general education recommendations and strategic plan are submitted to BUCC.
- Fall 2010: Final BUCC approval and implementation.