You are here
Guests with Disabilities
No special arrangements for guests who are handicapped or disabled are needed.
If an interpreter for persons who are deaf or hard of hearing is needed, please contact Nicole Lederer, Graduation Coordinator, to make arrangements at least one month prior to graduation.
Graduates and guests will be directed by University police where to park on campus. Reserved parking will be available behind McCormick Center for Human Services and Bakeless Center for the Humanities for persons who are handicapped or have trouble walking. Please request assistance from police officers covering the event.
- All seating for guests will be in the Academic Quadrangle. Any number of guests may attend.
Seating may be obtained as early as 1 hour before each ceremony. The ceremony is expected to last approximately 1 1/2 hours.
- On the day of graduation, it is strongly suggested that guests arrive with ample time to park, either on upper- or lower-campus.
- The road to the lower campus will close for parking after all lots are filled and guests will then be directed to upper-campus parking areas. Buses will be running throughout campus for transportation to the ceremony.
- The University police will be present for the duration of the day and guests should request assistance from them for parking or special needs. Individuals who cannot walk any distance can be dropped off in front of Centennial Hall, where there will be police and staff to assist. Disabled guests and the elderly can be assisted to their seats by commencement staff. Seating will be available for guests in wheelchairs along with one additional attendee at the front left and right sides. Interpreters for the deaf and hearing impaired will be signing both ceremonies.
- Members of the graduating class and audience who leave during the ceremony distract not only from other audience members but also the people on the stage and are discourteous to those participants who have not yet crossed the stage. The audience is expected to remain in place until the platform party and faculty leave the stage at the conclusion of the ceremony.