Dr. Curtis R. English 1993-1994


Dr. English in 1978 while a captain
in the United States Navy
Curtis R. English was born on August 9, 1934 in Montoursville, PA, and had a longtime connection to Bloomsburg, beginning with his graduation in 1956 with a bachelor's degree in business education from Bloomsburg State Teachers College. While in school he was active in a number of clubs and organizations, including the Business Education Club which he served as its president. After graduation he had a distinguished 30-year career as an officer, aviator, and educator in the United States Navy, rising to the rank of captain in 1978. During this time English graduated from the Naval School of Aviation and the Naval Intelligence School. He also served in a number of positions, including executive assistant to the chief of Naval Education and Training in Pensacola, FL, 1972-74; commanding officer of the Naval and Marine Corps Reserve Training Center, Washington, D.C., 1980-82; and and commanding officer of the Naval Reserve Personnel Center, New Orleans, LA, 1983-85. He was awarded the Legion of Merit and the United States of America Meritorious Service Medal for outstanding service to the nation on three occasions. English became an expert on the requirements and sources of strategic and critical materials and the ability of the United States to transport these materials by sea.

While still serving in the navy he earned an MA in public administration from the University of Oklahoma in 1971 and in 1985 a EdD in educational administration from Vanderbilt University. Upon leaving the service in 1986 Dr. English worked for a year as manager of corporate planning for the VSE Corporation of Alexandria, VA, and then went to East Stroudsburg University of Pennsylvania where he became vice president for finance and administration. In June of 1993 Bloomsburg University's Council of Trustees unanimously endorsed him him to be the interim president following the resignation of Harry Ausprich. The State System Board of Governors approved his appointment in July, 1993, and he sered as president until Jessica Kozloff took over on July 1, 1994.

Dr. English made an impact at Bloomsburg during his short time here, beginning with his first day on August 19, 1993 when he was introduced to the University community. In October construction began on the Student Recreation Center, and his accomplishments also included the reinstitution of the town-gown committee as a means of dealing with areas of concern, and his insistence that more money be raised in order to ensure the completion of all four floors of the new library building that was then being planned. In May 14, 1994 Dr. English presided over the University's 125th annual spring commencement, gave the commencement address, and received an honorary Doctorate of Pedagogy degree. It was fitting tribute to his service to Bloomsburg

Upon completing his term as interim president on June 30 he returned to East Stroudsburg from which he had been granted a leave of absence to resume his duties as vice president. Two years later in 1996 he became president of Hiwassee College in Madisonville, TN, which he served until his death on November 13, 1999 at the age of 65.

Dr. English was an active member of the Bloomsburg University Alumni Association, serving on its board of directors and as president of the Washington, D.C., alumni chapter. In 1974 he was honored by the association with its Distinguished Service Award for his outstanding naval career. In further recognition of his contributions in December, 1999 the Council of Trustees passed a resolution to name the large meeting room in the new addition to the Fenstemaker Alumni Center "The Curtis R. English Great Room."

Return to Gallery