The south side of Science Hall in 1955.
Construction on Science Hall began in 1906 and it opened for the spring term in March of 1907. By 1959 the building had been recently renovated and equipped for lab work in biology, chemistry, and physics, and also contained a number of classrooms, two lecture rooms, and a large, well-lighted art studio. When Sutliff Hall was completed science classes moved there, and after the Hartline Science Center was built this older building began to be commonly called Old Science. In 1988-89 it underwent extensive renovations for $3.3 million, which was over 30 times its original cost. It now houses the departments of Art and Art History, History, and Languages and Cultures and is the second oldest building on campus after Carver Hall.
Return to Map