BU’s Alumni Weekend features gala
For immediate release: April 4, 2007
BLOOMSBURG — Young alumni will get a chance to say goodbye to Jessica Kozloff, retiring president of Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania, during the G.O.L.D. Gala to be held on Saturday, April 14, as part of BU’s Alumni Weekend 2007.
The G.O.L.D. Gala is open to alumni from the classes of 1994 through 2006 – Graduates Of the Last Decade – who were BU students during Kozloff’s tenure. The semi-formal event on Saturday, April 14, at 7:30 p.m. at Monty’s will offer young alumni the opportunity to share memories with Kozloff while reconnecting with BU friends. The cost for the gala is $5 per person.
The gala is just one of the Alumni Weekend events that include a kid’s carnival, campus tours, an awards luncheon and reunions.
“The Alumni Association is partnering with the Program Board and others to offer a variety of activities that will appeal to all ages,” said Sheri Lippowitsch, a member of BU’s Class of 1981 and president of the Alumni Association. “There are so many wonderful things going on at BU, both physical changes and in the classroom. We hope people will take this opportunity to see for themselves and take advantage of as many events as they can fit into their schedules.”
Alumni Weekend will open Friday, April 13, with a reunion luncheon of alumni from the 1930s and 1940s, complete with campus tours. Alumni in the Classroom presentations also are scheduled for Friday.
Another reunion luncheon, on Saturday, April 14, will bring together the Navy V-12 officers who received their basic training at the campus between July 1943 and October 1945. BU’s Navy Hall is named for this group of servicemen.
Other graduates are invited to the Alumni Awards Luncheon Saturday, April 14, from 12:30 to 2 p.m. in Monty’s. During the luncheon, winners will be announced for the Distinguished Service Award, Young Alumnus of the Year, Honorary Alumnus and Grimes Loyalty Award. As part of the Alumni Association’s annual meeting, elections will be held for officers and the board of directors.
Alumni from all class years will be able to reminisce and socialize at the Taste of Tuscany dinner Saturday, April 14, at 5:30 p.m. in the Fenstemaker Alumni House. Reservations are required and the cost is $30 per person.
“The Alumni Association is working with other campus constituencies to create programming that not only benefits our university alumni, but also provides opportunities for them to bring their children – our future Huskies – to campus,” said Chris Beadling, vice president of the Alumni Association and a 1994 BU graduate. “The unique mix of programming options creates the perfect environment for young alumni to meet one another and enjoy their return to campus.”
Events sponsored by Alumni Affairs Office, the Program Board and other campus organizations include an outdoor movie, athletic events and a concert. Most are free of charge.
A complete list of Alumni Weekend events follows.
Friday, April 13
- Alumni in the Classroom, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Classes of the 1930s and 1940s Reunion Luncheon, Fenstemaker Alumni House, noon to 2 p.m. Invitation only, reservations required.
- Men’s Baseball vs. Mansfield, 1 p.m.
- Women’s Softball vs. East Stroudsburg, 2:30 p.m.
Saturday, April 14
- Registration at Alumni House, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Campus tours with shuttles departing from the Alumni House, 9 to 10:30 a.m. and 3 to 4:30 p.m. Reservations required.
- Women's Tennis, Bloomsburg Duals, 9 a.m.
- Interest Learning Workshops, 11 a.m. to noon and 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. Reservations suggested, walk-ins welcome.
- Kids Carnival, Alumni House lawn, 1 to 5 p.m. Reservations suggested, walk-ins welcome. Free T-shirts for pre-registered participants.
- Navy V-12 Reunion, Alumni House, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Invitation only.
- Children's sand bottle art, Kehr Union, room 345B, 11 a.m. to noon.
- Alumni Awards Luncheon, Monty’s Assembly Room, 12:30 to 2 p.m. Reservations required, $20 per person.
- Women's Softball vs. Kutztown, 1 p.m.
- Fireside Chat Reunions, 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. Registration suggested, walk-ins welcome.
- Taste of Tuscany dinner, Alumni House, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Reservations required, $30 per person.
- Children’s event, Simon Sez with Steve Max, Kehr Union Ballroom, 6:30 p.m.
- G.O.L.D. Gala, Monty’s Assembly Room, 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. Reservations suggested, walk-ins welcome, $5 per person.
- Chamber Singers Spring Concert, First Presbyterian Church, Market Street, Bloomsburg, 7:30 p.m.
- Outdoor movie, “Night at the Museum,” Lycoming Hall lawn, 8 p.m.
For reservations or more information, contact BU’s Alumni Affairs Office toll-free at 1-800-526-0254 or visit www.bloomualumni.com.
Bloomsburg University is one of 14 universities in the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education. The university serves approximately 8,000 students, offering comprehensive programs of study in the colleges of Professional Studies, Business, Liberal Arts and Science and Technology.