October is Fire Prevention Month
Below are some tips to make your home safer.
Smoke Alarms — Make sure there are smoke detectors on every level of your home, especially outside sleeping areas and test them monthly.
Portable Heaters — Make sure there is ample space around any heating unit. Anything that could catch fire should be at least three feet away.
Dryer Vents — Clothes dryers often start fires in houses. Clean the lint filter every time you start a load of clothes to dry. Make sure the exhaust duct is made of metal tubing and not plastic or foil. Clean the exhaust duct with a good quality dryer vent brush to prevent blockage and check for lint build up behind the dryer at least twice a year.
Electrical Fires — Don’t overload circuits or extension cords. Cords and wires should never be placed under a rug or in high traffic areas. Avoid loose electrical connections by checking the fit of the plug in the wall outlet. If the plug loosely fits, inspect the outlet right away. A poor connection between the plug and the outlet can cause overheating and could start a fire.
Plugs — Unplug all appliances when not in use. Follow the manufacturer’s safety precautions and use your senses to spot any potential disasters. If a plug is overheating, smells strange, shorts out or sparks – the appliance should be shut off immediately, then replaced or repaired.
Chimney — Inspect your chimney annually and use fire screens to help keep any fires in the fireplace.
Escape Plan — Create and practice your escape plan with your family from every room in the house. Practice staying low to the floor and checking for hot doors using the back of your hand.
In Residence Life buildings
Candles, halogen lights, kerosene or electric heaters and electric blankets are prohibited. Cooking of any kind is prohibited in residence hall rooms.