Education of the Deaf/Hard of Hearing

Master's in Education of the Deaf/Hard of Hearing (M.S.)

For those interested in teaching children and youth who are Deaf/Hard of Hearing, our 13-month M.S. program certifies you to become a teacher, PK-12. (To be eligible students must first complete the Undergraduate Area of Concentration in Education of the Deaf/HH or its equivalent.) Upon program completion you will be eligible for:

  • CED national certification
  • PDE state certification

While an undergraduate major in education is helpful because your goal is to become a teacher, it is not required. If you want to apply to our DEAFHH graduate program and your undergraduate degree is outside of the field of education (no teacher certification), then an additional prerequisite of five education methods courses is required.

There is no specific list of ‘education’ courses, although one should choose foundational ‘How to Teach’ type courses. Additionally, a minimum of ASL 2 is required as well as History, Education and Guidance of the Deaf, Introduction to Instructional Methods for the Deaf and Introduction to Audiology.

Education of the Deaf/HoF

DEAFHH Program Coordinator
  Deborah Stryker |
  Phone: 570-389-4197

Exceptionalities Program Coordinator
  Robin Drogan |
  Phone: 570-389-4877

College of Education
Fax: 570-389-3980
Program Faculty


Currently we are NOT accepting applications for Fall 2018 or Spring 2019. We are accepting applications for Summer 2019.

Entry with cohort each summer for full-time study

Program requires 36 credits of graduate work. However, students who have taken DEAFHH 462 or DEAFHH 469 as undergraduates, 33 credits will meet the requirements.


  • DEAFHH 560 Practicum with Deaf Children
  • DEAFHH 564 Speech for the Deaf
  • DEAFHH 566 Language Arts and Deafness
  • DEAFHH 567 Language for the Deaf II


  • SPECED 565 Research Methods I or PROFSTUD 591, or EDL 590
  • DEAFHH 562 Signing and Instruction in Educational Settings
  • DEAFHH 569 Instructional Practices in Deaf Education
  • AUDSLP 500 Aud. Train and SP Read




  • DEAFHH 575 Counseling Special Needs Populations
  • DEAFHH 584 Research in Deaf Education

Out-of-state Licensure and Certification

Bloomsburg University is approved to offer Education programs that lead to certification in Pennsylvania. While we regularly monitor licensure/certification laws in each state, state requirements are subject to change without notice. If you are interested in certification outside of Pennsylvania, we encourage you to contact the appropriate state licensing agency to seek guidance and verify requirements before beginning a program and during your program of study. Please visit and for more information. If you are planning to teach in New Jersey, please note that you may be required to complete the edTPA, a performance based assessment. It is strongly recommended that you contact the school district(s) of interest and the New Jersey Department of Education for more information specific to New Jersey.