You are here
Bloomsburg University uses the following definitions in this policy.
Any record maintained by BU which is directly related to a student, with the following exceptions:
- Records made by University employees which are kept in the sole possession of the maker, are used only as a personal memory aid, and are not accessible or revealed to any other person except a temporary substitute for the maker of the record;
- Employment records unless the employment is contingent on the fact that the employee is a student;
- Records maintained by University Security solely for law enforcement purposes.
- Records made, maintained and used by professionals or paraprofessionals (e.g., physician, psychiatrist, psychologist, or counselor) only in connection with treatment of the student, and disclosed only to individuals providing the treatment. Such health records may be reviewed by a physician or other appropriate professional of the student's choice.
- Alumni records containing information about individuals after they are no longer students at BU.
Legitimate Educational Interest
A school official has a legitimate educational interest when the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her responsibility on behalf of BU, such as when the official is performing a task that is specific in his or her job description or by a contract agreement or other official appointment; performing a task related to a student's education; performing a task related to the discipline of a student; or providing a service or benefit relating to the student or student's family, such as health care, counseling, job placement, or financial aid.
A person employed by BU in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position, including University Security and student Health staff; individuals or entities with whom the University has contracted (e.g., an attorney or auditor, the State Council on Higher Education, the National Student Clearinghouse); individuals serving on the Board of Trustees; and students conducting university business (e.g., serving on official committees, working for BU, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks).
Any person who attends or has attended the university.