You are here
Department of Nursing
Department of Nursing
Recognized as a leading accredited undergraduate and graduate level nursing program, Bloomsburg University prepares students for a wide range of careers in critical care, obstetrics, pediatrics, rehabilitation, trauma, home care, and other clinical specialties, informatics and case management.
Additionally, it offers the increasingly valuable path toward a master of science in nursing through its related graduate study program.
BU's Department of Nursing offers many different options to pursue or advance your nursing degree including: B.S.N., R.N. to B.S.N., R.N. to M.S.N., and M.S.N. with specialties in Family or Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner, Community Health, Nursing Administration, and Nurse Anesthesia.
Freshman Applicants — to ensure there is an available spot and you're meeting any program-specific deadlines, as several of our majors are highly competitive. This is especially true for our CCNE-accredited nursing program, which requires applications to be received by Dec. 1 prior to next fall semester. Decisions are not made on a rolling basis for nursing, unlike the vast majority of our undergraduate programs.
Nursing Programs of Study
- Nursing (B.S.N.) — As the realm of modern health care becomes increasingly complex, this rigorous and demanding program requires potential students to have exceptional leadership and time management skills, self-assurance and critical thinking. BSN Handbook
- Nursing (M.S.N.) — The progressive, challenging curricula — along with distinguished experienced faculty — provide vital knowledge and skills to develop competence in the multifaceted roles of advanced nursing practice. MSN Handbook
- Internal Transfer Students — To be considered, students must attend an interest session and complete the BU Internal Transfer Student Application. The applications are available in the department office and are due March 1, 2017 by 4:30 p.m. Applications received after the deadline will not be reviewed. Please call the department to schedule your interest session.
- Accelerated Second Degree Program — The 18 month accelerated second degree program is for those students who have a baccalaureate degree in another field, have completed all prerequisite courses, and desire to be a registered nurse. Applications for this program are due March 1 and are available through the admissions office. Candidates should also attend an interest session, which can be scheduled by calling the nursing department.
- RN-BSN — The 100% online RN-BSN program is a perfect fit for those Registered Nurses seeking to continue their education toward the BSN. The progressive, challenging curriculum of the RN-BSN program — along with distinguished experienced faculty — provides vital knowledge and skills for the development of competence in the multifaceted roles of the professional nurse.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (D.N.P.) — This doctorate program prepares nurse leaders to apply advanced practice skills at the highest level of clinical practice. Students will be prepared to assume a higher level of responsibility and leadership in nursing and health care, with the ultimate goal of improving the health care delivery system of the nation.
Nursing program ranked as most affordable in PA
A nursing degree from Bloomsburg University is ranked by College Choice as the most affordable nursing degree in Pennsylvania. Schools were ranked in each state by increasing value of the sum of the published in-state tuition and mandatory fees.
The rating places BU’s nursing program above six sister institutions in Pennsylvania’s State System of Higher Education: West Chester, second; Edinboro, third; Slippery Rock, fourth; California, fifth; Indiana, sixth; and Clarion, seventh.
College Choice is an independent online publication dedicated to helping students and their families find the right college. They publish rankings and reviews that make choosing the best college easier, as well as resources to help students get into, pay for, and thrive at the college of their choice.