You are here
Keynote for Health Sciences Symposium
Steve Ilardi earned his Ph.D. in clinical psychology from Duke University in 1995 and has since served on the faculties of the University of Colorado and (presently) the University of Kansas. The author of over 40 professional articles on mental illness, Ilardi is a nationally recognized expert on depression.
He is also the author of The Depression Cure: the 6-Step Program to Beat Depression without Drugs. His work has been honored by the American Psychological Association's prestigious Blau Award for early career contributions to the field, and his research on the neuroscience of depression has been funded by the National Institutes of Mental Health (NIMH).
Ilardi has also received several major teaching awards in recognition of his dynamic, engaging classroom presence. Recently, he was selected from a pool of over 2,000 instructors as the recipient of the school's highest instructional honor, the HOPE Award for teaching excellence. He also maintains an active clinical practice, and has treated several hundred depressed patients over the course of his career. Ilardi lives in Lawrence, Kansas with his wife, Maria and daughter, Abby.
Please check the Simulated Learning Lab's BOLT page for a list of dates, times and locations for orientation of Junior and Senior Nursing classes for Spring 2014! Look for "Orientation Schedule."
- January 21 — Classes begin.
- January 22 — Adult Health I Skills Fest. 8AM - Noon. Please check the SLL's BOLT site for more information when the semester begins.
- January 23 — Maternal Child Health Nursing Skills Fest. 9AM - 1PM. Please check the SLL's BOLT site for more information when the semester begins.
- January 24 — Adult Health II Skills Fest. 9AM - 1PM. Please check the SLL's BOLT site for more information when the semester begins.
- March 1 — Open House for Students Admitted to the Program. This open house is for high school seniors and transfer students admitted to the program. Please contact the Office of Admissions www.bloomu.edu/admissions for further details.
- March17-23— Spring Break. No classes. The SLL is also closed.
- April 24 & 25 — Health Sciences Symposium. The theme for the 23rd Annual Health Sciences Symposium is "Lifestyle and Treatment Approaches for Depression. The keynote speaker will be Stephen S. Ilardi, Ph.D. For more information please see biography posted on the right side of this page. He will present a lecture entitled “We Were Never Designed for This: The Psychological Toxicity of Modern Life (And What We Can Do About It)” to the campus and local community on Thursday evening, April 24, 2014 at 6:30 p.m. in the Gross Auditorium, Carver Hall. Professional presentations, along with a Wellness Fair, will continue on Friday, April 25 in the Kehr Union Building from 9AM to 2PM.
- April 26 — Open House for High School Juniors. This open house is for high school juniors interested in applying to the program. Please contact the Office of Admissions www.bloomu.edu/admissions for further details.
- May 6 — Finals begin.
- May 9 — Graduate Commencement.
- May 10 — Undergraduate Commencement.