You are here
Orient me! I am a ... New Freshman
Orient me! I am a ... New Freshman
New Freshman: You are entering college for the first time, directly from high school.
Welcome to Bloomsburg University and the Husky Family! To ease your transition to BU, the Orientation Office invites you to attend a BU Preview day!
BU Preview days offer are a perfect opportunity for new students and their families to meet faculty and current students, get a closer look at our scenic campus and learn about the activities and support services available to BU students. All new students except summer freshmen and ACT 101/EOP students are required to attend a BU Preview Day.
For your convenience, Bloomsburg offers eight different BU Preview Dates for new freshmen:
- June 25-27 and July 14-16
If you did not self-register for a date, an orientation has been assigned to you. Please check your email for the date you have been assigned to. With questions, please call 570-389-4595.
For additional information about BU Preview days, please visit the links to the left hand side of this page, especially the Orientation FAQs! Thank you for helping us make the most of your Orientation experience!
Preview Day Schedule
- 8:30-9:20 a.m. — Registration, Breakfast, and Pose for ID Photos: Kehr Union Building Welcome! Check-in, shake off the traveling stiffness and grab breakfast! Don’t forget to smile big for your student ID photo. IDs will be distributed upon your return to campus in the fall.
- 9:30-10:20 a.m. — Welcome to Husky Life! Be warmly greeted by our University President and other BU personnel! Find out what to expect during your day, including learning about your summer reading assignment!
- 10:20-10:50 a.m. — Navigating Financial Aid and Billing: Protecting Your Investment: Learn how to navigate and understand the financial aid and billing processes related to your education.
- 11:00-noon — My College & Me: College Deans’ workshop: Meet your College Dean (a person you really want to get to know)! Learn about academic standards, extracurricular experiences and research opportunities associated with your College! Explore related majors and minors you may wish to add to your academic goals. Get a jump start on learning more about your college here.
- 12:00-2 p.m. — Lunch (all you care to eat! Don’t be shy!) & New at BU Information Fair: More than 40 campus and community vendors are waiting to meet you and share what they have to contribute to your Husky experience! Discuss banking, health care, dining options, and student leadership and involvement and much, much more! Prizes and give-a-ways galore!
- 12:00-12:30 p.m. — Special Interest optional meetings:
» Study Abroad- have you thought about it? Come learn about study abroad opportunities at BU! Want a head start? Browse here. Kehr Union Building Room 230 (Multicultural Center)
» Living and Learning Communities- want to live with like-minded individuals? Go on trips? Work on life-changing projects? Come hear about the “LLCs!” Get a sneak peek here. KUB Hideaway
» Opportunities in Music- Play an instrument? Sing in a chorus? Enjoy performing? How about marching band? We’ve got opportunities to grow these talents, and more! Contact us for more information! Haas 166
- 2:00-2:30 p.m. — Living, Eating & Succeeding, Husky Style (residents only): Nervous about freshman living? (“What’s it really like to share a bathroom with strangers?”) Concerned about freshman eating? (“Is the freshman 15 really true!?!?”) Dispel the myths, relieve your fears, and get excited about what freshman living, eating and succeeding is all about! Also explore the array of services in place to ensure a safe, healthy, and enjoyable Husky experience! Want a glimpse of what the Dean’s Office has to offer, check us out ahead of time.
- 2:30-3:30 p.m. — My Major & Me: Academic Advisement workshop: Your fall class schedule. Meeting an Academic Advisor. Learning the requirements of your major. Meeting other students in your major. These are the moments you’ve been waiting for. Well, here they are.
- 3:45-4:30 p.m. — “From Highschool to Husky” experience: This meeting is so secret we can’t even describe it online. (Your parents aren’t even allowed to attend) You simply have to be there. Yep. That’s all we’re giving up!
A couple notes…
Parking for orientation is the Geisinger Bloomsburg Hospital Parking Lot located on Lightstreet Road. Orientation staff will eagerly direct you from the parking lot to check-in and breakfast. If you find the Hospital Parking lot is full, overflow parking is behind the Andruss Library. The BU campus map may be helpful to you in your travels.
Wondering what to bring??? Just bring yourself, an open mind, and maybe something to write with! Remember to check the weather! It never rains in Bloomsburg (☺)…. But just in case it decides to start during orientation, we want our huskies to be prepared!
Staying overnight? Check out our corporate sponsors for comfortable and convenient lodging and dining. Be sure to tell them you are in town for BU orientation - they may have a special discount for you!
Still confused? Still have questions?
We’ve got an app for that! It’s called the New Student Orientation Office… and it is actually not an app… It’s an office. But we are a helpful office nonetheless: