You are here
Orient me! I am a … Summer Freshmen
Orient me! I am a … Summer Freshmen
Summer Freshman student: You are a freshman student invited to begin their academic career in summer 2014.
Fall orientation, or, “Welcome Weekend,” as it is better known, is the four-day orientation that takes places leading up to the start of fall classes from Thursday, Aug. 21, through Sunday, Aug. 24.
All freshmen (commuters, summer freshmen and ACT 101/EOP included) are required to participate in the Welcome Weekend experience. Welcome Weekend takes place following move-in, so students will already be on campus. New freshmen commuters are also required to participate in select portions of Welcome Weekend.
Welcome Weekend is a combination of fun, interactive, and informative workshops and activities led by professional speakers, University staff, and current students. Welcome Weekend is designed to jump start your new life as a Husky, providing you with all the tools, information, and resources necessary to make a smooth transition.
Expect to laugh, cry, be silly and grow! We will challenge you to move out of your comfort zones and expand your horizons. Along with this challenge, though, you will be greatly supported!
Welcome Weekend is for students only. Your parents/guardians will be home missing you very much, but we will try hard to keep you busy and active so that you do not miss home so much! So look forward to community service opportunities, comedians, hypnotists, game shows and much, much more during Welcome Weekend!
A tentative schedule of events will be posted soon!
If you have any questions at all, please contact our office at 570-389-4659, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
2014 Welcome Weekend Schedule of Events
You will receive an official schedule when you move-in to your residence hall.
If you miss a mandatory event, you will be required to make it up during the first two weeks of classes. Please do not contact the Orientation Office to let us know if you have to miss an event. You will automatically be contacted about make-ups based on attendance records.
Thursday, Aug. 21
- 6 to 6:30 p.m. — Class of 2018 Welcome Fest — All the loudest, craziest Husky fans pack the quad for tons of free prizes from local businesses and to cheer for the husky athletes! Take your chance at the climbing wall that is over 25 feet tall!!! First 200 guests get a free Husky spirit prize! Get ready to party with the best DJ!
- 9 to 9:50 p.m. — Wing Meetings — For resident students only, meet your CA and fellow wing residents. Get your community living experience started right!
- 10 to 11:30 p.m. — Mocktails & Mayhem — Thirsty? Come try BU’s version of a “sex on the beach!” Bored!? Come laugh your butt off with the hilariously funny improve comedy group, Mission IMPROVable! Who knows, you may even end up as part of a skit! Mocktails & Mayhem is an evening of unfiltered FUN and an open “bar” of non-alcoholic drinks. Seats are usually filled within the first 10 minutes!
- 7 to 9:30 a.m. — Breakfast — Scranton Commons
- 10 to 10:45 a.m. — Welcome Meeting — What is Welcome Weekend? What happens? How will this prepare me to be a great Husky? This workshop covers everything you need to know to get the most out of Welcome Weekend experience!
- 11 to 11:45 a.m. — OWL Workshop 1 — Meet your OWL, your personal host for the entire Welcome Weekend experience, as well as 20 or so fellow students who will help you make the best and biggest changes of your life!
- Noon to 12:45 p.m. — Professional U — Throughout the fall and spring semester, Professional U will be working with you to develop your personalized Career MAP. Through Professional U activities you will explore your strengths, refine your career goals and get connected to successful alumni in career fields that are of interest to you!
- 1 to 1:45 p.m. — Lunch
- 2 to 2:45 p.m. — One is Too Many — Do you think being assaulted couldn’t happen to you? Find out more about “rape culture” and how you have the power to be a part of an important change in the college environment! Because one rape or sexual assault is one too many!
- 3 to 3:45 p.m. — OWL Workshop 2
- 4 to 5 p.m. — Optional Campus Tour/Campus Q&A — Need a refresher on the layout of the land? We got ya! Meet the OWLs for a tour, or any questions about campus. Bring your class schedule if you’d like to see exactly where your classes will be.
- 4 to 5 p.m. — Summer Freshman Welcome Back — If you were a summer freshman, you are required to participate in this “welcome back” workshop.
- 4 to 5 p.m. — ACT 101/EOP Welcome Back — If you were an ACT 101/EOP student over the summer, you are required to participate in this “welcome back” workshop.
- 5 to 6:15 p.m. — College of Business Meeting & Dinner — This workshop is required for students currently admitted to majors within the College of Business. This workshop is not for you if you are planning to change into the College of Business; you must currently be in the College to attend. A complimentary College of Business dinner is included.
- 5 p.m. — Dinner
- 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. — Night @ the Rec — Got some athletic skills? Like to work out? Compete with your peers by participating in a variety of fun and physically challenging competitions, 3 point and free throw competitions, Zumba marathons, farm tire flipping, rock climbing wall and much, much more!! Stop in for a bit or stay the whole time!
- 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. — SafeZone LGBTQA Welcome Reception — BU is a diverse community of ideas, people, thoughts and dreams! If you are interested in learning about our LGBTQA friendly community, stop by this informal reception for snacks and a good time! ALL are welcome!
- 9 to 10:30 p.m. — B.U.S.T.E.D. Show! — If you are a fan of GLEE!, then you are a fan of B.U.S.T.E.D.! Bloomsburg University Student Theatrical Drama (BUSTED) is a show featuring upperclassmen students. The show addresses social issues, roommate conflicts, alcohol & more! B.U.S.T.E.D. is a hit every year!
- 9:30 p.m. — Movie- 22 Jump Street — KUB Hideaway
- 10 to 10:45 a.m. — Brunch
- 11 to 11:45 a.m. — Husky Diversity — Some of the best experiences you will have as a college student are those that come as a result of thinking “outside the box.” As a Husky, you will be challenged to try new experiences and build unfamiliar relationships. BU is preparing you to excel in a diverse world, starting now!
- Noon to 12:45 p.m. — OWL Workshop 3
- 1 to 1:45 p.m. — OWL Code — There are a few rules to surviving your freshman year at BU. Presented by OWLs, this fun workshop covers what to do, and what not to do, as you navigate your new Husky life!
- 2 to 2:50 p.m. — Paths to Student Success — What is a Dean of Students? What resources are available to you for your success? Where can you go if you need help with conflict or decision-making? The Dean of Students answers these and other questions to keep you on track for success!
- 5 p.m. — Dinner
- 5:15 to 5:45 p.m. — Study Abroad interest meeting — Interested in studying abroad? Whether just thinking about it or already committed, this workshop covers all you need to know to get the process started!
- 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. — The Amazing Race-Husky style! — Think you have what it takes to tough it out in a physically challenging race around the campus? You will have to solve puzzles, perform stunts, and possibly eat gross things! You must have a team of 4 to participate! Prizes awarded to the top 3 finishers!! Many will try, but only a few will finish…. will your team win?
- 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. — Student Government Open House — If you have ever considered joining student government this informal Open House is for YOU!! No prior experience needed! If you’d like to make a difference in campus activities, concert selection, dining options, and much, much more, this is the event to get you started! Meet your current student government leaders and find out how to make your voice heard! Food and fun!
- 9 to 11 p.m. — Hypnotist Show — This show is the grand finale of Welcome Weekend!!! If you are shy, sit in the back because those in the front end up on stage….hypnotized!!!
- 9 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. — Freshman ETS Assessment — This test is NOT the same as the freshman placement test. ALL freshman are required to participate in this campus-wide assessment.
- 3 to 5 p.m. — Activities & Involvement Fair — BU is a busy, active, engaging place! See for yourself by browsing this fair, which showcases many of the over 200 clubs and organizations BU has to offer! Sign up for what you know you love, and also give something new a chance! (Rain location is KUB Ballroom)
- 3 to 4 p.m. — Transfer Hot Spot! — If you transferred to BU, this event is for YOU! Come meet, mix, and mingle with BU’s current and new transfer students! Food, fun, and friends!
- 4:30 to 7 p.m. — Dinner
- 6 to 7 p.m. — Catholic Campus Ministry Service. Protestant Campus Ministry Service. Bloomsburg is a great place to establish, or grow your faith! All are welcome to these worship services!
- 7 p.m. — BU B-I-N-G-O!!! — This is not your grandmother’s game! Did you know BU is known for its BINGO crowd!? Come out to win over $650 worth of BU swag!
- 9 p.m. — Residence Life Wing Meetings II — Residence Halls. See your CA for details. This wing meeting includes all the returning upperclassmen neighbors.
Friday, Aug. 22
Saturday, Aug. 23
(*) Welcome Weekend schedule subject to change