For the sake of clarity, the primary person who has been delegated with contracting officer authority on behalf of the University, without financial limitations, is the Vice President for Administration and Finance. In the event of their absence, that responsibility shall fall to Claudia Thrush, Assistant Vice President for Finance, Budget and Business Services. Jeff Mandel, Director of Procurement and Operations has purchases and contract authority to $100,000. No other individual has contracting signatory authority on behalf of the University unless delegated in advance and in writing by Ms. Thrush or the President. The procurement law (Act 57) has established checks and balances to be certain that more than one individual is involved in the approval process. To this end, this Act has designated a Contracting Officer and a Fiscal Officer designation.
Duties of the Contracting Officer:
- Only individual authorized to procure goods, services, supplies and construction; enter into and administer contracts; and make determinations with respect to contracts for the State System.
- Determine the method of source selection and public notice.
- Makes the written determination for sole source purchases.
- Determines pre-qualifications of prospective bidders, whenever a pre-qualification list is to be used for the procurement action.
- Whenever a contract type other than a firm, fixed-price contract or an emergency procurement, the contracting officer will first review the contractor's accounting system to ensure it meets acceptable accounting standards.
- Inspect the plant of contractors or subcontractors and audit cost and pricing data to the extent necessary to ensure that the provisions of the contract are met and the pricing is accurate.
- Appoint selection committees.
- Ensure that withdrawals of bids are made in accordance with the provisions of Act 57.
- Determine the security, payments and performance bonding required in each contract.
- Hear and issue findings on bid protests, claims, and/or disputes concerning solicitation, award or administration of a contract.
The primary persons who have been delegated authority as "fiscal officer" to review contracts and agreements, and to sign disbursement authorizations on behalf of the University, without limitation is Claudia Thrush, Assistant Vice President for Finance, Budget and Business Services, or Debra Newman, Assistant Director, Budget and Finance. No other individual has fiscal authority on behalf of the University unless delegated in advance and in writing by Ms. Thrush, or the President.
These designations are made pursuant to Act 57 of 1998 and the Board of Governors Policy 1998-04. If you have any questions regarding this memo or require assistance in the preparation of a contract, please feel free to contact Jeff Mandel at telephone x4045 regarding contracting matters or Claudia Thrush at x4012 regarding fiscal matters.
The Vice President for Administration and Finance, or respective designee, shall sign all University affiliation agreements. Non-standard agreements or agreements from external parties also require University legal counsel review and signature.
Additionally, it is a practice of this University to recognize the authority of other Vice Presidents or their designees with regard to internal commitments and obligations being made of their area’s resources and the impact on their respective programs. Accordingly, appropriate co-signature blocks may be provided on contracts or agreements (when possible and practical) to afford appropriate reviews and internal approvals by participating or affected parties. These auxiliary signatures are for internal purposes and do not represent the legally binding contractual authority referenced above.