ROBERT B. REDMAN STADIUM
Scroll down for more pictures
Robert B. Redman Stadium is situated on the upper campus of Bloomsburg University as part of the university's 103-acre athletic complex. Originally built in February 1974, the new facility took the place of Athletic Park in downtown Bloomsburg as Home of the Huskies.
In the spring of 2008 the facility was completely renovated as a part of a $3.45 million dollar project which included a press box with elevator, new rest rooms, artificial turf field, track and field facilities, new railings and ADA compliance, new parking lot, new visitor bleachers and lights.
The stadium, which overlooks the scenic Susquehanna Valley, has seating for 5,000 spectators, although attendance at several events has exceeded that total. The largest crowd to see a football game in the facility totalled 7,483 at the 1985 Homecoming contest against Millersville.
Originally, when planning began for the new stadium in 1963, the proposed site was and area on the lower campus across from where the Rec Center is now; however, a consultant's report recommended the upper campus development. The project finally got underway in 1972 at a total cost of $725,000.
On Saturday, September 21, 1974, the first game was played in the stadium, and dedication ceremonies were held naming the facility in honor of Redman.
In the first game at the newly renovated facilty the Huskies beat California, PA, 24-17.
Coach Redman, a native of Sayre, Pa., and a graduate of its public schools,graduated with honors in economics at Swarthmore College where he also participated in four years of varsity football activities, served as captain during his senior year and was also a varsity performer with the baseball team. He earned his Master of Arts degree in economics at Pennsylvania State University during his tenure at Bloomsburg State College.
Redman had coached at Sayre High School and North High School in Binghamton, N.Y, prior to serving as an officer in the United States Navy during World War II.
He left the service with the rank of lieutenant commander. He returned to his coaching duties at North High School and remained there until his appointment at Bloomsburg in 1947.
In addition to serving as head coach of two varsity teams, Redman also served as dean of men and taught courses in economics. During his five years at Bloomsburg, his teams won 38 games and lost only four. His record included three Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference championships and two undefeated teams.
He left Bloomsburg in September 1952 to become head football coach at East Orange Senior High School.
During the late 50s, he was appointed principal of the senior high school, and his untimely death occurred in 1960 shortly after he had been elected superintendent of schools in East Orange.
Redman Stadium-Home of the Huskies
Construction Continues on Redman Stadium-UPDATED JUNE 30
June 3, 2008
Construction Continues on Redman Stadium-UPDATED JUNE 3
May 2, 2008
Construction Continues on Redman Stadium
The old Redman Stadium