You are here
Answer Key Tutorial
Answer Key Tutorial
In order to have a quick and hassle free procedure of scanning your exams, we ask that you follow some rules when filling out the key:
- Place the key is on the top of the pile. The scanner designates the first sheet it scans as the "key". The key must always be on the top of the pile so it can be scanned first.
- Sort all exams so they face the same direction. If an exam is backwards/upside down, it will be rejected by the scanner and the scanner operators must place it back in to be rescanned. This does not adversely affect the student's grades in any way, but can be problematic for the scanner operators.
- Fill in all zeroes for the Key's BU ID. This enables the scanner operators to quickly identify which exam the key is with little time spent searching through names.
- Fill in your Department, Course, and Section numbers. Scanning Services asks that you fill these out so if the exams are forgotten, we can look at the Department and Course numbers and find who they belong to.
- DO NOT WRITE NEAR THE TIMING MARKS. Do not write near the timing marks on the key or any of the student's exams. If anything is written near these marks on the front or back of the exams, the exam will be rejected by the scanner. If it is in pen, the scanner will be unable to grade that exam. If it is in pencil, the scanner operators will erase the pencil mark and re-scan the exam. If you want your students to write something on their exams to designate their section or version of the test, we ask that you have them write on the bottom-right hand side of the front of the scantron.
- Exams with multiple answers for one question. If an exam has multiple answers for a question you must notify the scanner operators whether the correct answer is only one of the multiple answers, or if the student must select all possible answers to get the question correct. This can be written on the Scanning Request Form in the Special Instructions box.
- Omitting Questions. If there are any questions on your exam you wish us to omit, simply write which questions you want omitted in the Special Instructions section of our Request Form and the scanner operators will take care of the rest.
- Weighted Questions. If you have an exam with questions that are worth more than one point each, please notify the scanner operators via the Special Instructions section of our Request Form.