University Writing Center Wimba Online Consulting
The BUWC is now offering a new online consulting service for student writers. Writing consultants will work with writers one-on-one using a program called Wimba. This free online service will be available to any BU student who cannot make it to one of our writing center locations.
There are workshops and individual training available on how to use this program successfully. Before using Wimba, we ask writers (if possible) to come in to the writing center (Bakeless 206) first to either work with a writing consultant in person or receive a tutorial on the Wimba software. When possible, we would like first-time visitors to experience a session live before choosing a Wimba session.
To Request Your Wimba Appointment
- Wimba sessions must be requested at least 24 hours in advance. Email the Bloomsburg University writing center at email@example.com to request a Wimba session. Please include your six-digit BU student number in your appointment request. We also ask writers to include a range of availability. You can request a Wimba session by coming in to the writing center as well.
- Example email: Hello. I am [your name]. My student ID number is [your six-digit number]. I would like to schedule a Wimba appointment. I am available on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday between 3:00 PM and 6:30 PM. Thanks.
- You will receive an email from us before the appointment with a time and date for a Wimba session, a link to run the “Wimba Set-up Wizard,” and information on how to prepare your computer to work with us on Wimba.
To Prepare for Your Appointment
Be sure to prepare your computer well in advance of your scheduled appointment. Click on the link in the email you receive. Turn off the “Pop-up Blocker” on your computer and open the link for the “Wimba Setup Wizard.” You will only need to run this software the first time if you use the same computer for future sessions. Contact Wimba’s technical support at 866-350-4978 if you experience any confusion or trouble. You can also email or visit the writing center if you wish to resolve any problems.
- A computer
- A standard Internet connection (other than dial-up)
- A microphone for your computer or a cellular phone (required)
- A webcam (encouraged)
To Begin Your Appointment
- At the time of Wimba session appointment, when the consultant has entered the Wimba room, you will receive an email with a link to the room. We ask that all writers enter the Wimba room on time so that each writer can receive equal assistance.
- You will need to verify that your “Pop-up Blocker” is turned off, and make sure that the only windows you have open are the Wimba room and your document. This will help Wimba run smoothly with a good connection.
Some things to expect from your Wimba Appointment
Wimba sessions will be limited to one hour, but it is possible to schedule more than one session for the same assignment.
At the beginning of each session, the consultant will ask for some basic information, including your six-digit student number. Unless by previous arrangement with the BUWC Director, if you cannot provide a valid student number, the consultant will discontinue the session.
Please feel free to email the writing center or walk in with any questions. We are eager to work with writers online with Wimba!