Emergent Media Certificate
Individuals enrolled in the certificate should meet regularly with their faculty advisor to plan an appropriate course sequence and timeline for completion.
- Degrees & Offerings
- Program Contact
Chair of the Department of Media and Journalism, Associate Professor
The certificate is open to all who meet any one of the following requirements:
- Currently enrolled in a non-BU undergraduate program (minimum of 60 credits completed)
- Formerly enrolled in a BU or other university undergraduate program (minimum of 60 credits completed)
- Two years of relevant professional experience, as determined by department review of application
Current students aren't eligible for the certificate as they're already free to major in media and journalism with an emphasis in emergent media or minor in emergent media. After completion, certificate students can apply these credits toward a media and journalism degree at BU, if they so choose
Certificate Requirements (15 credits)
- MEDIA.120 Introduction to Emergent Media
- MEDIA.220 Introduction to Multimedia
- MEDIA.260 Social Media and Podcasting
- MEDIA.280 Introduction to Visual Communications
- MEDIA.320 Applied Multimedia (Prereq. MEDIA.220)
Capstone (3 credits)
- MEDIA.497 Internship [recommended] (Prereq. MEDIA.220 and MEDIA.260 or
- MEDIA.280, plus GPA of 2.75 or higher)
- MEDIA.420 Emergent Media Workshop [Topics change; can be repeated] (Prereq. MEDIA.220)
College of Distinction
Bloomsburg has earned national recognition as a College of Distinction, honored for its quality and high-impact practices leading to a personalized education catered to students’ interests.
Review the step-by-step process whether you're a first-year student, transferring to BU, or more.
Ready to apply? Great!! Start your online application here.
There's no better way to learn more than to experience Bloomsburg for yourself! Set up a campus tour or connect with us virtually.
Applying to college is a big step. You have questions, and we have answers!
Our Financial Aid team is your guide to navigating the aid process here at BU.