Candidates for the M.Ed. in Educational Leadership PK-12 Supervisory Certificate in Curriculum and Instruction program are typically required to complete 30 credits with the option of transferring in up to 9 credits from another university. Those candidates seeking the PK-12 Supervisory Certificate in Curriculum and Instruction only are required to complete 24 credits and also have the option of transferring in up to 9 credits from another university
Classes are typically offered during the evening 5 to 8 p.m., Monday through Thursday.
- PDE Approved for PK-12 Supervisory Certificate in Curriculum and Instruction.
- Online classes are available and growing! A student can earn their certification online with the exception of the required practicum/internship.
- Students are required to have a seasoned (at least three years’ experience) principal act as your mentor throughout the program.
Graduate students must maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher. Students who do not take classes in either the Fall and/or Spring semester(s) will be considered inactive in MyHusky. Students are required to contact their Academic Advisor or Graduate Program Coordinator with their request to be reactivated. Their request is then forwarded to the Graduate Office, who will process the reactivation. Students have six calendar years to complete their chosen degree or certification program.
Upon acceptance, students desiring to transfer credits may make this request upon application to their chosen program. Upon approval, degree students may transfer up to a maximum of nine semester hours or parallel courses (determined by BU) from accredited institutions. These courses will be applied towards completing the degree requirements of the program. However, no courses will be transferred in which a grade less than a B was earned. Pass/fail grades are not acceptable.
Pennsylvania Requirements for Certification
(As taken from the PDE website *)
Issuance of the Supervisor of Curriculum and Instruction certificate requires a minimum of five years certified school experience in an instructional area. Preparation for this professional certificate is at the graduate level and presumes in-depth study in the area of Curriculum and Instruction. A person prepared as a Supervisor of Curriculum and Instruction may be eligible for certification provided the applicant:
- Has completed an approved program of graduate study preparing the applicant for the broad area, district-wide supervisory functions specified by the endorsement area of the certificate. (Preparation completed out-of-state must meet Pennsylvania standards for certification.)
- Is recommended for certification by the authorized certification officer of the institution where such education was obtained, or holds a comparable certificate from another state (for out-of-state graduates only).
- Provides a chief school administrator's verification of the completion of five years of satisfactory professional school experience as mentioned above. (22 PA Code Section 49.111).
- Has provided evidence of satisfactory achievement on assessments prescribed by the Department under Section 49.18(a). [PRAXIS Specialty Area Test: 0411 (Paper) and 5412 (Computer); Qualifying Score of 143]
- Is able to meet all other requirements provided by law.
(*) Please see the PDE website for additional requirements for PDE certification and for any updates as certification requirements may change over time.