Director of Dance, Associate Professor of Theatre and Dance
The Michael Collins Theatre Scholarship
Up to four scholarships ranging from $100 to $750 may be awarded to students majoring in theatre who
- display a commitment to theatre as a diverse and multi-disciplinary pursuit,
- possess a collaborative spirit and leadership qualities, and
- demonstrate a positive, willing attitude and work ethic.
Priority in selection is given to students with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 overall and 3.5 in theatre courses.
Submit the following:
- Bloomsburg University Standard Scholarship Application
- Resume of experience in the theatre
- Short essay addressing the question: “How has your experience in the theatre impacted your understanding of one of the following: leadership, collaboration, work ethic?”
- Audition and/or portfolio review
- Interview with the Theatre faculty
- For newly entering freshman or transfer students, a letter of support from an individual familiar with the student’s theatrical experience must also be supplied
- Recipients are determined by a vote of the faculty of the Division of Theatre and Dance, based on available funds and all application materials presented/received. A majority of the faculty must vote in favor of the recipient in order for an award to be given.
- Application must be received by the university’s announced deadline. This typically occurs during the first week in March for scholarships for the following academic year.
- Bloomsburg University Scholarship Application, which is typically available in December of the year preceding the award. Continuing students may access the application through MyHusky New freshmen and transfer students may contact Professor Julie Petry, Chair, Theatre Scholarship Committee, for assistance if they can not access the application form online
- Resume, Essay, Application and Reference Letter (if applicable) must be submitted online via MyHusky. Newly admitted and incoming students without MyHusky access may send resume, essay, and reference letter to: Julie Petry, Chair, Theatre Scholarship Committee, Department of Music, Theatre and Dance, Bloomsburg University, 400 E. 2nd St, Bloomsburg, PA.17815
- Audition/Portfolio Review and Faculty Interview
- Candidates must contact the scholarship chair by email requesting an appointment once all paperwork has been submitted. Applicants who submit partial materials will not be interviewed by the committee, or considered for an award.
- Students may reapply for up to 4 years, but renewal is not guaranteed.
- Essay, resume and BU Application are required as part of the renewal process.
- The Audition/Portfolio review and/or interview will be required unless one or both are waived by a unanimous vote of the faculty after the essay, resume, and BU scholarship application are received and reviewed. The decision to waive one or both items rests solely with the faculty of the Theatre and Dance Division.