Chemistry and Biochemistry
Recognized by the American Chemical Society (ACS) and the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB) as among the nation's top programs, we offer options in chemistry and biochemistry, chemistry education, nanotechnology, and pre-medical sciences.
Chemistry majors — who often graduate with ACS or ASBMB certification, including some with both — advance into professions such as medicine, secondary school teaching, and chemically related industrial firms. Biochemistry majors enjoy a career path into medicine or veterinary school, as well as a stepping-stone into forensic chemistry.
Bloomsburg because ...
- Unlike large public universities, you'll never have a teaching assistant in any of your lab classes. You'll never be in a chemistry lab section with more than 18 students.
- Our instrument suite is comparable to or better than many private schools and is fully accessible by students, who get hands-on experience with these instruments.
- We have paid research internships for qualified students to work one-on-one with faculty. Routinely, these students receive travel funds to present their research results at national science conferences, such as the annual American Chemical Society Meeting.
How about a medical degree in seven years!
A combined Bachelor of Arts in Chemistry-Doctor of Osteopathy dual degree program that can be either three years at Bloomsburg University plus four years at Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM), or four years at Bloomsburg plus four years at PCOM. The first program is “accelerated” and the second program is a traditional length to obtain both degrees.
Interested in both biology and chemistry?
Perfect, we have the option just for you! Pursue this specialized program that leads to medical and dental schools after graduation. Both standard and ACS certified tracks are available. Students have the opportunity to be awarded certification by the American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, ASBMB.
Pursuing chemistry opens up multiple undergraduate options that include pathways for experience in chemical research, some specialty fields and certifications, as well as graduate studies or employment in industry, including engineering.
- BS in Chemistry — This program is most commonly pursued by chemistry majors at Bloomsburg. It provides a broad exposure to all major areas of chemistry as well as options for experience in chemical research, some specialty fields and certifications.
- BS in Chemistry (ACS) — Completion of a research component will allow a student’s degree to be certified by the American Chemical Society. Students completing this program are particularly well prepared to pursue graduate studies or employment in industry.
- BA in Chemistry — This program provides a three-year exposure to the core of the chemistry curriculum. Students can double major in chemistry and another discipline, or they can participate in the 3:2 program in engineering.
Interested in teaching?
This option features a capstone course, The Chemistry Curriculum and the Teaching Laboratory, the only one of its kind in the State System.
- BS in Education with Chemistry Certification — Students interested in teaching high school chemistry pursue this program that awards them a BS in Education and the equivalent of a BA in Chemistry.
This field is changing everything!
From vaccines to computers to car tires, nanotechnology is playing a part. Its products can be found in commonly used items as cell phones, cosmetics, and clothing. It's used to help solve problems by:
- developing nanoparticles for fluorescence imaging of tumors
- producing cleaner, more affordable energy
- detecting and cleanup hazardous chemicals in the environment
- enabling medical devices that can eliminate the need for surgery
- making sunscreen and cosmetics more effective
- ensuring food stays fresher longer
- creating smaller and faster electronic components
This program helps prepare you for entry into medical school, dental school, veterinary school, podiatric school, chiropractic school, and optometry school. This best fits:
- Post-baccalaureate students who require additional preparation at the undergraduate level.
- Undergraduate students on an alternative path to preparing for professional school, such as psychology or exercise science or anthropology, to name a few.
- Students majoring in chemistry-biochemistry ... this is one of your “pre-med” options.
Earn a bachelor’s degree in four semesters!
Here, you'll find technology internships, health care clinical experiences, or science research, including undergraduate research opportunities. These experiences will give you an edge in your career, and along the way you'll take pride in making a difference — for the environment or for your community. Once you transfer your associate’s degree to Bloomsburg, you'll start at the junior-level in these programs.
- B.S. Biology - Environmental Biology Option
- B.A. Chemistry
- B.S. Chemistry
- B.S. Chemistry-Biochemistry option
- B.S. Chemistry-Nanotechnology option
- B.S. Chemistry-Pre-Medical Sciences option
- B.S. Computer Science
- B.S. Digital Forensics
- B.S. Environmental, Geographical, and Geological Sciences-Environmental Geoscience
- B.S. Environmental, Geographical, and Geological Sciences-Professional Geology
- B.A. Mathematics
- B.S. Mathematics
- B.S. Physics
* with a fall semester start in a program-to-program articulation.
8 reasons why we're the perfect fit
- dedicated professors who specialize in undergraduate education
- faculty teaching every class and lab (no graduate students)
- small science and math classes
- hands-on experience with instrumentation and in the field
- undergraduate research opportunities
- in-state tuition for PA residents provides an excellent value for your educational dollar
- welcoming community of students, with hundreds of social and scholarly organizations
- campus is close to home (but not too close) for many residents of eastern Pennsylvania