About Bloomsburg University
Founded in 1839, Bloomsburg was built on the vision that higher education should be available to anyone who is ready to work for a better life. Today that tradition continues, with limitless opportunities for our students across the Commonwealth and beyond.
Bloomsburg University is an inclusive comprehensive public university that prepares students for personal and professional success in an increasingly complex global environment.
Preparing students for success in a complex world
- Resources for Academic Excellence ... As the largest comprehensive university in Northeastern and Northcentral Pennsylvania, BU offers 57 undergraduate degree programs with more than 66 minors and 19 graduate degree programs, along with the experiences and technology to give students the best possible preparation for careers in their field.
- Connections to Careers and the World ... An alumni base of more than 72,000 enables students to network throughout eastern U.S. and beyond. Students also have opportunities to study abroad in Europe, Asia, Africa and the Americas.
- Environment for Service and Engagement ... More than 250 student clubs and organizations — ranging from community service to the arts and business to entertainment — give students the opportunity to develop their leadership skills and creativity ... to grow both professionally and personally. Students are actively involved within the community with more than 73,000 hours dedicated to volunteerism each year.
Building on a rich history of academic excellence as one of 14 public universities in the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education, Bloomsburg University prepares and inspires students to become dynamic and confident leaders.
As the university on the hill, Bloomsburg University overlooks the Town of Bloomsburg and is situated a few hundred yards from the community's business district with Bloomsburg Hospital across the street from a cluster of residence halls.
- Lower campus is home to eight residence halls, a student services center, campus dining, instructional buildings, four-story library and recreational and social facilities.
- Upper campus, about half-mile away, is connected by continuous shuttle service and features athletic facilities, three university-owned student apartment complexes, a dining and conference facility, and several maintenance buildings.
- Upper campus is also home to Huskies athletics, surrounded by the Nelson Field House, Danny Hale Field at Redman Stadium and fields for soccer, lacrosse and field hockey, baseball and softball and a tennis center.
Bloomsburg University offers for-credit classes and degree completion programs at the Dixon University Center and partners with Bucks Community College, Harrisburg Area Community College, Lehigh Carbon Community College, Luzerne County Community College, Northampton Community College, and Reading Area Community College.
Awards and Recognition
- Digital Forensics and Cybersecurity program designated a National Center of Academic Excellence (CAE) in Cyber Defense Education. The CAE designation is jointly sponsored by the National Security Agency and the Department of Homeland Security.
- Nursing program is ranked fourth in the state of Pennsylvania and 51st in the nation by RNCareers.org
- U.S. News and World Report — Among the Best Regional Universities, northern region in Best Colleges rankings (104th)
- Niche — Based on key statistics, student reviews and polls, good value for in-state students, exceptional college experience, 10th overall in Top Public Universities in Pennsylvania
- Carnegie Classification — awarded for demonstrating an institutional commitment to volunteerism and community involvement. Institutions participate voluntarily by showing that civic engagement is integrated into their mission and supported by the institution.