Lam Nguyen, D.Mgt.
- Professor & Chair of the Department of Management, and Co-Director of Global Business Institute
B.S., University of Economics, Ho Chi Minh City
B.S., Ha Noi University of Foreign Study
M.B.A., Webster University
D.Mgt., Webster University
Dr. Lam D. Nguyen is tenured Full Professor and Chair of the Department of Management and Co-Director of the Global Business Institute at the Commonwealth University of Pennsylvania (Bloomsburg, Lock Haven, and Mansfield). He is also a Research Fellow at the University of Economics, Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam. Dr. Nguyen received his Doctor of Management degree and his MBA degree with an emphasis in International Business from Webster University. Dr. Nguyen has been on the editorial board and served as a Guest Editor of Special Issue in high quality refereed journals such as the International Journal of Public Administration. He has served as a Visiting Professor at Webster University Thailand and at the University of Economics, Ho Chi Minh City. Dr. Nguyen possesses a solid practitioner experience including various managerial and leadership positions he held in Vietnam and in the U.S. He has extensive teaching experience at both undergraduate and graduate levels including Executive MBA in the areas of Strategy, Leadership, Ethics, HRM, and International Business. Dr. Nguyen has published numerous articles in high quality refereed journals and proceedings, including Asia Pacific Business Review, Leadership & Organizational Development Journal, Journal of Management Development, and others. His areas of interest are leadership, ethics, strategic management, entrepreneurship, public administration, and cross cultural management.
Dr. Nguyen has served as the faculty advisor of several student organizations including Global Business Association, Beta Gamma Sigma, and Society for Advancement of Management-BU Chapter. The Beta Gamma Sigma-BU Chapter received the Outstanding Chapter Award- Honorable Mention in 2015 in addition to multiple Highest Honors and Exemplary Chapter Awards since 2013.
Dr. Nguyen is a member of several prestigious honor societies including the International Honor Society Beta Gamma Sigma, International Honor Society in Business Administration, Lambda Kappa Chapter Delta Mu Delta, International Honor Society for Business, Management, and Administration Sigma Beta Delta, and the Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi.
Dr. Nguyen is a recipient of prestigious awards such as Emerald Best International Symposium Award and Best Reviewer Award from the Academy of Management, Provost’s Award for Excellence in Research/Scholarly Activity, Student Organization Advisor of the Year, and Award of Excellence for Initiating Program of Distinction and Fostering Internationalism and Cultural Diversity.
Dr. Nguyen is a guest editor of a Special Issue on “Public Administration and Policy: Capacity Building for High Performing Public Organizations in Vietnam” which will be published in the Public Organization Review.
Dr. Nguyen is a guest editor of a Special Issue on "Public Administration and Policy in Vietnam" which has been published in the International Journal of Public Administration.
Dr. Nguyen and Wren Fritsky from Professional U took a group of BU students (both graduate and undergraduate) on a Husky Career Road Trip to Eurofins NSC to learn about its operations at the US headquarters in Lancaster, PA as well as its global operations, especially in Purchasing. BU students had an opportunity to interact with BU Alumni and discuss internship and job opportunities with the HR team.
Dr. Nguyen took a group of 11 International Business major students on a field trip to Ha Noi, the capital of Viet Nam. During this 12-day trip, the students had an opportunity to experience and learn about its history, culture, economy, and business practices.
Student-Faculty Collaborative Research
- Sarkessian, M., & Nguyen, L.D. (2018). Student’s perception on business ethics: An investigation of French students based on gender, age, and education. SAM Advanced Management Journal, 82(4), 52-60.
Representative Refereed Journal Publications
- Vu, N.H., Nguyen, L.D., & Le, B.T.N. (2023). Participation of less productive firms in global value chains in transition economies: An analysis of SOEs and private firms in Vietnam. Public Organization Review (Accepted for publication).
- Nguyen, P.D., Nguyen, N.P., Nguyen, L.D., & Le, T.H. (2022). The role of organizational justice and job satisfaction in mitigating turnover intention of emotionally exhausted employees: Evidence from Vietnam. Evidence-Based HRM, 11(2), 215-232. https://doi.org/10.1108/EBHRM-06-2021-0115
- Phung, T.M.T., Nguyen, L.D., Nguyen, T.H., & Pham, L.N.T. (2022). Technology readiness between public and private college students: An examination during the COVID-19 pandemic. Public Organization Review. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11115-022-00643-8
- Vu, N.H, Bui, L.H., Tran, T.M., Ha, H.T., & Nguyen, L.D. (2022). Credit access and zombie firms: A study on state-owned, private, and foreign-invested firms in a transition economy. International Journal of Public Administration, 46(12), 833-846. https://doi.org/10.1080/01900692.2022.2025830
- Grandzol, C., Nguyen, L.D., & Mboga, J. (2021). Caught in the Corporate Social Responsibility cul-de-sac: LaborVoices seeks a path forward for supply chain labor rights transparency. Southeast Case Research Journal. (Accepted for publication).
- Lau, W-K., Nguyen, L.D., Pham, L.N.T., & Cernas-Ortiz, D.A. (2021). The mediating role of harmony in effective leadership in China: from a Confucianism perspective. Asia Pacific Business Review. https://doi.org/10.1080/13602381.2021.1948216
- Tran, Y.T., Nguyen, N.P., & Nguyen, L.D. (2020). Results-oriented culture and organizational performance: The mediating role of financial accountability in public sector organizations in Vietnam. International Journal of Public Administration. DOI:10.1080/01900692.2020.1841227
- Lau, W-K., Pham, N.L.T, & Nguyen, L.D. (2019). Remapping the construct of paternalistic leadership. Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 40(7), 764-776.
- Nguyen, L.D., Tanner, T., & Pham, L.N.T. (2019). Cross-culture management: An empirical examination on task and relationship orientations of Japanese and Omani working adults. International Journal of Human Resources: Development and Management, 19(1), 92-103. DOI: 10.1504/IJHRDM.2019.097050
- Nguyen, L.D., Ermasova, N., & Pham, L.N.T. (2018). Leadership and stress orientation of Japanese and Russian working adults. Global Business Review, 19(4), 968-987.
- Ermasova, N., Nguyen, L.D., & Bruce, M. (2018). Does gender make a difference in leadership and stress orientations? An empirical study of German and Russian working adults. International Journal of Strategic Change Management, 7(2), 87-108. DOI: 10.1504/IJSCM.2018.091594
- Ermasova, N., Wagner, S., & Nguyen, L.D. (2017). Ethics-related organizational interventions and personal business ethics in Russia. Journal of Management Development, 36(3), 410-426.
Advisor, Global Business Association
The purpose of the Global Business Association (GBA) is to help students appreciate cross-cultural differences, trends in globalization and its effect on society, and the growing importance of business operations across national borders. In addition, it organizes activities and events that promote cultural awareness and diversity on campus and advance the professional development of those interested in international business.