Undergraduate Research, Scholarship, and Creative Activity
Thirty students have had projects funded through the 2013 Undergraduate Research, Scholarship, and Creative Activity (URSCA) Awards summer program at Bloomsburg University.
Purpose: The Undergraduate Research, Scholarship, and Creative Activity (URSCA) Awards provides summer stipend support to students participating in summer research, scholarship, or creative activities. Students can receive a maximum stipend of up to $6,000 for a full-time project during the 12 weeks of summer session.
Students receiving awards include:
- Adam Kulp, mentored by Dr. Bill Coleman, "Localization of Synapsin Proteins in Human Sperm Cells"
- Amanda Pritzlaff, mentored by Dr. Chris Hallen, "Monitoring Water Quality and Examining Bioaccumulation in Macroinvertebrates of the Lower West, North and South Branches of the Susquehanna River"
- Franklin Rodemer, mentored by Dr. Chris Hallen, "A Snapshot of Acid Mine Drainage Sites Utilizing a Passive Limestone Treatment System in Schuylkill County, PA"
- Robert Kresch, mentored by Dr. Cindy Venn and Dr. Chris Hallen, "Aqueous Geochemical Analysis of Marcellus Shale Hydraulic"
- Lynette Eichenlaub, mentored by Dr. Cindy Venn and Dr. Chris Hallen, "Aqueous Geochemical Analysis of Surface Water and Groundwater Surrounding a Marcellus Fracture Fluid Retention Pond and Corresponding Well Pads in Bradford County"
- Conor Flynn, mentored by Dr. Eric Hawrelak, "Catalytic Studies for the Production of Cyclic Organic Molecules Using [(C6F5)C5H4]Co(CO2) at the Catalyst"
- Lauren Heller, mentored by Dr. Eric Stouffer, "Examination of the Ability of Voluntary Physical Exercise"
- Chandra Dewar, mentored by Dr. George Davis and Dr. Chris Hallen, "Uptake Specificity of Synthetic Phitosidesphore Analogs by Graminaceous Plants"
- Mike Jurbala, mentored by Dr. Gregory Zimmerman, "Extraction of Equilibrium Constants and Limiting Conductivities from Conductance Measurements on Unsymmetrical Electrolytes
- Brandon Hartman and Michael Otto, mentored by Dr. Heather Feldhaus, "Developing a Regional Economic Impact Plan"
- Caleb Meyers, mentored by Dr. Heather Feldhaus and Dr. Neal Slone, "A Community Development Research Project: Revitalization of Elm Street Community, Berwick Pennsylvania"
- Jose Calvo, mentored by Dr. Jennifer Johnson, "Perceptions of Cyber Security: Personal Computers"
- Dan Copes, mentored by Dr. Jing Luo and Dr. Matthew Slotkin, "Effects of Music on Language and Culture in China"
- Rachel Livingston and Chandlar Long, mentored by Dr. John Huckans, "Ultracold Bloom"
- Sawyer Davis, mentored by Dr. John Morgan, "Organometallic Routes to Chemical Derivatives of the Tricyclic Antidepressant, Imipramine"
- Ariana Winger, mentored by Dr. John Morgan, "An Organometallic Four-Step Synthesis of the tricyclic Core of the Antidepressant Clomipramine (Anafranil)
- Ashleigh Wells, mentored by Dr. Kevin Ball, "Effect of Chronic Stress on Relapse to Palatable Food Seeking: Role of Dopamine D1-like Receptors
- Erik Rahner, mentored by Dr. Mike Borland, "Correlating Mono-unsaturated Fatty Acid Chain Length to PPAR-Dependent Anti-proliferative Effects in Malignant Melanoma"
- Christina Irzinski, mentored by Dr. Pamela Smith, "The Use of Technology with Unfamiliar Communication Partners by Persons with Aphasia: Video Conferencing vs. Email"
- Kimberly West, mentored by Dr. Stephanie Schlitz, "Pennsylvania Dialects Project"
- Ashley Brown and Shannon Sursely, mentored by Dr. Sue Dauria, "Anthropology and Education: An Ethnographic Field-School Teaching Anthropology"
- Shelley Fought, mentored by Dr. Sue Dauria, "Anthropology and Education: An Ethnographic Field-School Teaching Anthropology"
- Louisa Andrew, mentored by Dr. Toni Trumbo-Bell, "Clotting Inhibition for LSPR and ISPR"
- Kristie Darrah, mentored by Dr. Toni Trumbo-Bell, "Chromatographic Studies of Thrombin Inhibitors"
- Jo Pennypacker, mentored by Dr. Vincent Hron, "Downtown Danville Mural Project"
- Jacqueline Zeiber, mentored by Dr. Winona Cochran, "Effects of Color and Type on Gender Classification of Children's Toys"
- Sarah Dodgin, mentored by Dr. John Hranitz, "GIS Mapping of Larval and Juvenile Anuran Habitats on Assateague Island VA"
- Paola Lunardi, mentored by Dr. John Hrantiz, "Co-Occurrence of Larval and Juvenile Anurans and Potential Competition for Resources on Assateague Island VA"
Questions: Email John Hranitz at firstname.lastname@example.org.