Financial Aid Eligibility
You must meet certain qualifications to receive funding along with meeting qualifications while you are a BU student to remain eligible. Our staff will evaluate these to be sure you are meeting the requirements for federal financial aid.
All applicants for financial aid at Bloomsburg University are required to submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students applying for the first time and who are undergraduate Pennsylvania residents need to complete the Pennsylvania State Grant form through the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA). You can apply for a Pennsylvania State Grant immediately after completing the FAFSA through a link on the confirmation page or by visiting the PHEAA website and creating an account.
- Students must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States.
- F1/F2 student visas are not eligible for federal aid.
- Federal/state aid is not available to international students. You may contact BU's Office of Global Education at 570-389-4199 for more information on what may be available as an international student.
Selective Service Registration
- Male students 18 or older must be registered with the Selective Service System.
- Students must be enrolled or accepted for enrollment at Bloomsburg University in a degree program.
- Study abroad programs offered for credit by Bloomsburg University may be considered enrolled for the purposes of awarding federal financial aid.
- Limited number of certificate programs that may be eligible for Title IV aid.
- Non-degree students may not receive a federal grant/loan or Pennsylvania State Grant. Private Educational Alternative Loans may be available.
Satisfactory Academic Progress
- Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) must be maintained to remain eligible for financial aid. Please become familiar with our policy as it can affect your funding.
Federal Education Loan Status
- Students cannot have any federal education loans in default. Check the status of any prior loans.
Completing Verification (if selected)
- Required to submit the requested supporting documentation to the financial aid office (examples: federal taxes, household size, number in college).
- Financial aid cannot be paid until the verification requirements have been completed.
- If verification is not completed before your final day of enrollment in the academic year, all your federal financial aid will be cancelled except for the Federal Pell Grant. Pell verification must be completed prior to the date established by the Secretary of Education (usually 120 days after the final day of enrollment or August 31, 2022, whichever is earlier, for the 2021-2022 academic year).